I am a motivated, self-taught Front End Web Developer with a range of creative and technical skills, as well as professional expertise gained in the Fine Art industry.
Following twelve years in a technical information management role in a fast-paced creative environment, I am now focused on consolidating my skills in Manchester’s digital industry. Over the past two years I have developed several WordPress sites and completed online courses in front end development as well as working in an agile environment in my current role at Street Support Network.
I am keen to continue my development within a progressive digital team, where I can utilise and enhance my skills.
Junior Front End Web Developer / Data Administrator
Street Support Network, Manchester (Since March 2017 and March - May 2016)
Providing front end and administrative support within a small software development team.
- Front End Development:
- Contributing to client side interfaces to add features, develop new pages, update content and resolve front end issues using CSS3, Sass, handlebars.js, BEM and Git
- Cross Browser Testing | User Accepted Testing | Checking and improving site functionality and requesting new usability features | Finding, documenting and fixing bugs
- Developed their WordPress blog in Spring 2016, utilising front-end skills: HTML5, CSS3, Sass, WordPress, PHP, Git
- Working in an agile environment:
- Exposed to source control, test-driven development, agile project management, task automation
- Sourcing, fact-checking, writing, editing and publishing website content
- Managing volunteers | Supporting site users | Responding to public enquiries
Freelance Front End web Developer
Manchester (Since Jan 2016)
Designed and developed five custom responsive WordPress sites to date
- Responsive Design:
- Designed five live responsive websites & developed a 6th to existing design | Used media queries to ensure device compatibility
- Theme development:
- Used Automattic’s underscores starter theme to create bespoke sites | Local installation | Writing and editing HTML5, CSS3 and PHP templates | Child theme development
- Version control:
- See my Github page here
- Client liaison:
- Collaborating with clients to reach goals
Manchester (September 2014 - December 2015)
After leaving my full time role at Chris Ofili’s studio I became the primary carer for my daughter, prior to her starting primary education. During this time I enhanced my professional skills by studying web development, as well as carrying out consultancy work in the Fine Art industry.
Independent Archives Consultant
Ben Marley Consultancy, Manchester (September 2011 - December 2016)
Freelance consultancy work on archival matters for artist and gallery clients.
Archivist and Publications Liaison
Chris Ofili Office, London (October 2006 - August 2014)
Afroco is the studio of the Turner Prize winning artist Chris Ofili. I set up and managed the artist’s entire digital and physical archive from scratch, documenting over 20 years of practice. Fully responsible for coordinating photography of the artist’s works and all digital and print image reproductions.
- Collaboration across multidisciplinary teams:
- Collaborated across time zones with numerous national and international private clients and public institutions to deliver major art exhibitions and publications
- Time management:
- Worked to strict print deadlines when project managing and coordinating the production of fine art prints, exhibition catalogues and posters
- Project management and support
- Project managed and coordinated the major exhibition catalogues: Chris Ofili: Night and Day (2014) | Chris Ofili, Ovid - Diana & Actaeon (2012) | Chris Ofili (2010) | Chris Ofili (2009)
- Developed digital image specialist skills:
- | Used Adobe Photoshop for digital image manipulation and colour correction | Coordinated and signed off online and print image reproductions from postcards to billboards | Prepared image files for output
- Improved workflow efficiency:
- Created systems for storing digital assets to ensure the smooth running of the studio | Dropbox: Migrated 1TB of Data to the cloud to enable the artist and collaborators to access digital assets remotely | Upgraded collections management database from local to online system to enable wider access
- Attention to detail:
- Meticulously catalogued 11000+ database records | Copy-edited and proof-read print and online content
- Image specialism:
- Coordinated and signed off all online and print image reproductions consisting of billboards, London underground exhibition posters, gallery banners, invitations, postcards and merchandise
- Information coordination and dissemination:
- Collaborated with the artist and Tate Britain to deliver the artist’s largest exhibition to date - solely responsible for the accuracy of all biographical, historical and artwork related information both online and in print
White Cube, London (September 2002 - September 2006)
White Cube is regarded as one of the world’s most influential commercial contemporary art galleries. As a commercial art gallery, it acts as an agency for its roster of international contemporary artists including Damien Hirst, Antony Gormley and Gilbert & George. I managed its historical archive and research centre from conception to completion, cataloguing and preserving highly valuable material of major cultural interest.
- Best practice:
- Implemented information management systems to best practice, arranging, cataloguing and preserving highly sensitive, confidential, invaluable material
- Communication skills:
- Prepared and delivered presentations to directors and clients
- Attention to detail:
- Catalogued over 2000 database records
English Language Teacher
Contextinc (Language School), Cologne, Germany (January 2000 - July 2001)
Taught English as a foreign language to adults from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds.